Saturday, October 29, 2011

Callie's Stars & Hoods...

After knitting up my Super Quick & Warm Cowl with Spud & Chloë Outer, I needed a fun project to knit up with the Spud & Chloë Sweater I had purchased. I remember seeing this pattern in 60 Quick Baby Knits (or click here to check your local libraries) awhile back and thought it would be cute on Callie if I could find the right colorways for it. Viola! Pattern decision done. 

Here’s how it’s going so far:
Oct. 28 
Since I had knitted up a swatch in St st a few days earlier using US 7 needles, I decided that I would use US 8 needles instead. The swatch came out too dense and I wanted a softer feel for Callie. Plus, I want her to wear the sweater over clothes and not be too hot. I sat down and checked to see if I needed to do any math as far as changing the pattern up. Turns out my gauge on US 8 came out to 9sts & 12 rows = 2” (exactly as the yarn tag said) and since the pattern gauge is 21sts & 26 rows = 4” (you can do the math here yourself), I just followed the pattern for 18 months.
OK, my changes so far: 
I want to add 2x2 rib along the hood and not the garter stitch the pattern calls for. I omitted knitting that part up so I’ll just pick up stitches along the hood and yoke when I need to. This meant I was always 8 sts less when I was following the pattern. Also, in joining the yoke, I added 4 stitches and since the pattern called for a k2tog of 4 stitches, I automatically ended up with the exact number stitches to knit in the round. Yay! 
I’m doing a fun stripe pattern and then using purple for the hood, cuffs, and bottom part of the pullover. I'm also toying with the idea of adding a kangaroo pocket in the front. Depends on how much yarn I have left :)
I finished the top yoke part and actually began on the purple. So far this is a fun & quick project.

No comments:

Post a Comment