Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Little Red Riding Hood...

My sweet niece's 9th birthday is next month, and I know her mother has been wishing I would make something really sweet for her, so I decided to make her a cape/poncho in the Red Riding Hood style (and Vicky if you're reading this...Surprise!). 


I checked out ravelry for patterns that I can use since it's for a gift.  I didn't find anything I really liked, so I did the next best thing. I took a pattern and changed it up. A lot.


I decided on 110-13 Poncho with hood and pompoms in 2 threads ”Eskimo" or 1 thread ”Polaris” by DROPS design. And since I got a great deal on some Caron One Pound yarn on sale in the color Claret, I had to bust out my calculator and do some serious math and do up the whole stitch ratio and row ratio in order to modify the pattern. And for that I thank whole heartily Debbie Stoller and her cool book "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation" which has a great way of explaining how to convert patterns with different gauges!




I doubled up the yarn, and began knitting on US 15 needles. So far it's a really quick knit with one part of the cape done. I changed the garter stitches for moss and so far it looks really good. I'll keep ya posted!





No comments:

Post a Comment